Chris DeMarco has in-depth experience in the roles of health care provider, administrator, and overseer.
Christopher DeMarco, Ph.D., Senior Vice President; General Manager, Research and Market Insights for Sage Growth Partners (SGP), combines his scientific, healthcare, and business backgrounds to improve the strategic management and operations of healthcare organizations. He provides strategic consulting and research to clients based on methodical research that leads to sound market intelligence and actionable market insight analysis.
Chris joined SGP as a Principal in 2010, working with clients on a wide variety of business planning, information technology, grant writing, research, and marketing initiatives.
Before becoming a healthcare consultant, Chris had 20 years of medical, behavioral, and mental health experience. He has led ambulatory care operations and managed strategic partnerships between hospitals and government agencies. Chris also has extensive experience working and consulting for Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs).
Combining his social science and business backgrounds, Chris applies scientific principles and discipline to design practical solutions for healthcare organizations. He is trained in both quantitative and qualitative methodologies. His strategic research focus provides clients with actionable insights that advance business processes, improve efficiency and increase ROI.
Prior to joining SGP, Chris oversaw operations, programs, quality and compliance for FQHCs. He also launched and ran a health services division at a large social services agency in New York City.
Contributed significantly to the dramatic growth of Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) and Community Health Centers (CHCs) through restart, new start, and new program projects.
For start-up and existing healthcare organizations, developed business plans as well as strategic, quality, risk and compliance plans; funding acquisition strategies; organizational structure changes; and outcome measurement.
Wrote grants netting more than $20 million in awards.
Authored white papers on topics that included analytics, cardiac devices, outsourcing, PCMH, ICD-10.
Provided companies with services including industry insights, competitor analyses, market assessments, market segmenting and targeting, and product pricing.
Conducted ROI research for healthcare IT vendors that resulted in apps for sales and marketing teams.
Conducted national market analysis on FQHC space for major HIT vendor.
Co-authored industry reports on population health and telehealth and provided national and state healthcare trends to FQHC boards.
Determined a new service line placement in an emerging market by developing an algorithm and heat map of new sales target opportunities.
Chris holds a Ph.D. and M.A. in Social Science (Social Psychology) from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University, an M.B.A. in Business of Medicine from Johns Hopkins University’s Carey Business School, and a B.A. from Bucknell University.
Chris also studied psychology at Guildhall University in London. His doctoral dissertation is entitled, “The use of heuristics in judgment under uncertainty: Their relationship to AIDS-related behavior.”
- Member, Board of the Behavioral Health Leadership Institute (BHLI)
- DeMarco, Christopher, PhD, Dan D’Orazio. “No Safe Harbor: Why the dynamic healthcare market threatens to leave some FQHCs lost at sea.” Sage Growth Partners. November 30, 2015.
- DeMarco, Christopher, PhD. “The High Performing FQHC of Tomorrow: Expanding the Mission Through Margin.” Sage Growth Partners, May 2015.
- DeMarco, Christopher, PhD, Rick Borschuk. “Governance and Sustaining Independent Physician Practices.” Sage Growth Partners. April 16, 2015
- DeMarco, Christopher, PhD, Dan D’Orazio, Patrick Ball. “Unveiling Overtime’s Total Cost: How OT May Be Harming Your Business and Your Patients.” Sage Growth Partners, February 23, 2015.
- DeMarco, Christopher, PhD. “ASCs” Advancing Market Forces Require IT Solutions to Help Drive Performance and Profitability.” Sage Growth Partners. November 22, 2014.
- DeMarco, Christopher, PhD. “Lean Management Means Rethinking the Role of the Customer.” Building Baltimore. February 2013.
DeMarco, Christopher, PhD, Dan D’Orazio, Don McDaniel. “Remote Monitoring for Cardiac Arrhythmia: Its Legacy and Growing Importance in Advancing Clinical and Economic Outcomes.” Sage Growth Partners. September 16, 2012.