Melissa Pitchford, Chief Financial Officer at Sage Growth Partners, LLC (SGP), is a multi-faceted corporate finance management professional who provides C-Suite advisory services to the healthcare and professional services industries. After initially joining Sage as Vice President and Managing Director, she was named CFO in late 2015.
Melissa is known for her ability to develop cost-effective financial, restructuring and acquisition strategies that enable organizations to achieve the highest possible ROI through P&L management and financial reporting controls and maintenance.
Prior to joining SGP, Melissa was the CFO of Katzen Eye Group, the largest private eye care practice in Maryland. During her tenure, she developed strategy, policies and initiatives that enhanced the performance and financial integrity of the practice and contributed to its sale to a healthcare private equity firm. She also previously served as chair of the medical practice group for KatzAbosch, a large regional accounting and consulting firm specializing in medical practices.
Melissa earned multiple promotions that ultimately led to her position as a shareholder and chair of the medical practice group for KatzAbosch, a leading certified public accounting, tax and consulting firm serving clients in the mid-Atlantic region. In her role as chair, Melissa successfully led the medical practice to increased revenues and client volume.
Her professional experience includes preparing for and successfully driving capital raise and M&A activities, leading restructuring efforts, and overseeing the upgrade of personnel and infrastructure within the IT, billing and HR departments of numerous healthcare organizations.
Managed expenses to realize a 200% increase in net income.
Created a paperless document management system.
Developed human resources policies and procedures and developed a corporate handbook.
Improved cash management.
Chaired the Medical Practices Services Group at a certified public accounting and consulting firm, overseeing business development, increasing revenues and marketing potential clients through member organizations.
Completed the due diligence process for the sale of a large Center for Excellence Medical Group to a healthcare private equity firm.
Prepared EBITDA projections and normalizing adjustments, converting the cash basis financial statements to accrual, assisting with reconciliations, and providing explanations and narratives.
Participated in acquisition teams to prepare for integration of new locations and practices, ensuring efficient transfer of accounting, billing, IT and HR departments.
Provided advisory services related to the admission of owners, employment agreements and sale of practice.
Oversaw compliance with current and future requirements related to HIPAA and Meaningful Use.
Negotiated physician compensation for physicians using MGMA benchmarks for RVUs (Relative Value Units.)
Provided oversight on IT projects to upgrade bandwidth and connectivity, create network redundancy, implement a chart backup system and create a map of IT infrastructure.
Maryland Medical Group Management Association, Member, Past President, Secretary, & Treasurer
- “College Corner: Budgeting.” Maryland MGMA, Medi-News. November/December 2008.
- “Ask the Expert: We Don’t Have a Budget – Should We?” Maryland MGMA, Medi-News, March/April 2008.
- “Ask the Expert: What are the Benefits of Utilizing Bookkeeping software?” Maryland MGMA, Medi-News, October 2007.
- “Year-End Tax Planning Tips.” The Leading Edge, Vol. 5, Issue 1, 2007.
- “Year-End Tax Planning Tips.” Maryland MGMA, Medi-News, December 2004.
- “Choosing the Quickbooks Product that is Right for your Company.” The Leading Edge, Vol. 4. Issue 1, 2003.
- “How to Maintain a Profitable Practice in a Down Economy.” Baltimore County Medical Association; General Membership Meeting; November, 2009.
- “Saddle Up: It’s Time to Budget.” 2008 Maryland MGMA Session.
- “My City for Her.” Women’s Wine and Dine; Panel Speaker, Fall 2008.
Certified Public Accountant, Maryland 2002
- Received the Maryland Medical Group Management Association’s Outstanding Service Award, 2015
- American Institute of CPAs, Member
- Maryland Association of CPAs, Member
- Astra Advisory Board, Member